Home Sugar Support™ Forum Advice Dealing with phone number

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Aethena 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dihydrogenmonoxide
    Participant

Hi, it’s me again!

I was asked my phone number and I have read to have a burner phone. How is this done most conveniently? Do I use burner phone app, physical another phone or what? I want to keep my identity safe but I want to do it conveniently.

This POT wasn’t fond of idea of using kik or other apps. I understood the logic and it seemed reasonable.

teamswirl
    teamswirl
    Participant

If you don’t feel comfortable giving out your real phone number then you can use an app. There’s Google Voice, Textfree, etc. I think SA now offers burner phone numbers, but you have to pay for those.

SouthernSD
    SouthernSD
    Participant

Don’t use your real number, too many creepy people out there. I use pinger text free app, It can be used to call but I just text.

CherieJ
    Participant

I used to use text free for my day job—easier than cluttering up my personal number—and had let that lapse, but I just got a new number that has a different tone that I plan to use. If you keep it active, you’re good; if you let it lapse (think it’s 3 weeks with no activity) your number will be deleted/reassigned and you’ll need a new one.

Aethena
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’m new too and I already did my SB homework and read quite a lot.
    But there is this one possible SD I have been messaging with for the last two weeks, not on a daily basis, and he is kind and sweet, but now he asked me about my phone number.
    I’m not quite sure if I should give him my number just jet and all those apps you are talking about are new to me (I live in Europe, all we use is still WhatsApp or at least me and my friends).

I would really appreciate some advice or a explanation to those apps and how you connect with your possible SD on there.

Thank you 🙂

Inamorato
    Inamorato
    Participant

@aethena – it’s normal that SD/SBs want to take the conversation off of Seeking Arrangement after a while. Unfortunately, none of these burner apps work in Europe. The easiest way to keep your vanilla and SA life separate would be to buy an actual burner phone and SIM. The cheapest non-smart phones can be bought new for under €20. Add in a €5/month pre-paid sim and you’re all set for anonymous text messaging.

But also consider what’s necessary for you. Does the POT SD already know your true identity? If he does, you don’t need the anonymity and can just block his number if things don’t work out.

If he doesn’t know your identity, does a google search on your phone number bring up anything about you? Your WhatsApp account is linked to your real phone number – does your profile there identify your real name? Would you share your real identify once an arrangement was in place?

Aethena
    Participant
      Thank you for your answer.
      I tried kik and asked him if he would like to join me there for a conversation, but now I’m not getting any response back…so I guess my initial suspects were right.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  Aethena.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.