Home Sugar Support™ Forum Advice Questions about the Community!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  josieforyou 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

cdm
    Participant

Hi! My name is Candace and I’m in a sociology class at my college. Me and my two other group members, Emma and Alexis, decided to research the sugar baby subculture for a presentation, and we’d like to ask some questions. We know that there are a ton of misconceptions about sugar babies and that you are often not portrayed in the greatest light, and because of that, our aim in asking these questions is to gain a better understanding of being a sugar baby in order to destigmatize it. We mean no disrespect or exploitation; all we want is to hear from members of this community to understand it better. 🙂

Feel free to answer any and/or all of the following questions:

– What led you to the sugar bowl, and how long have you been a sugar baby?
    – Other than financial benefits, what are the benefits of being a sugar baby? What do you gain from it?
    – What do you have to be careful of as a sugar baby? What are the dangers?
    – How does being a sugar baby fit into your everyday life? What does it look like day-to-day?
    – Are there general rules to being a sugar baby/within a relationship, or does it vary depending on the situation?
    – Do your friends/family know that you’re a sugar baby? If so, how does that affect your relationship with them, if at all? If not, why?
    – Is there someone you look up to as an inspiration or example within the community?

P.S. Any responses will be credited anonymously unless you indicate that you’re fine with the use of your username 🙂

josieforyou
    Participant

I have no idea what compelled me to answer these questions lol

Im not an active user ATM and haven’t had a serious SR for a number of years. I did dip my toes back into SA mid last year but lost interest after a few morons.

– What led you to the sugar bowl, and how long have you been a sugar baby?
    I fell into my first sugar relationship without knowing what it was. I met my first SD IRL, not online, and only really learned of the concept when he explained it to me, on a day where I told him I felt wrong accepting so many gifts from him. He’s someone I would have engaged with even if gifts and money wasn’t exchanged so in some ways i don’t see it as a totally traditional SR. That was 8 years ago. Ive had what i would consider 4 worthwhile/serious SRs and a couple fleeting.

– Other than financial benefits, what are the benefits of being a sugar baby? What do you gain from it?
    Depends on the type of arrangement. Some benefits might be networking, mentorship, travel opportunities or just the opportunity to do things you wouldn’t do otherwise, like nice dinners and shows.

– What do you have to be careful of as a sugar baby? What are the dangers?
    Online there are lots of scams but if you have common sense that’s not a worry. Once it comes to meet and greet and dating stage, same dangers as vanilla dating with the added and complicated element of monetary exchange (boundaries become blurred- some SDs feel entitled, some SBs feel obligated etc, scared to report if assault occurs etc).
    I’ve been assaulted as a SB but have also been assaulted in more traditional relationships so I dont see sugar dating as any more dangerous as regular dating (if you follow your gut feeling).

– How does being a sugar baby fit into your everyday life? What does it look like day-to-day?
    When i was a SB it didnt impact my day-to-day life; I might have spoken to my SD on the phone etc but it wasn’t all that invasive to my everyday life.

– Are there general rules to being a sugar baby/within a relationship, or does it vary depending on the situation?
    Varies significantly, though I’d say a general rule is intimacy is expected.

– Do your friends/family know that you’re a sugar baby? If so, how does that affect your relationship with them, if at all? If not, why?
    Some friends know for safety purposes (so I can check in with them) and my sister knows having met a couple of my SDs. Otherwise I keep it relatively quiet, like i would my vanilla relationships, cause it’s no one’s business.

– Is there someone you look up to as an inspiration or example within the community?
    Lol. No.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.