Home Sugar Support™ Forum Confessions Stepping out of the Bowl…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by SimpleSimone SimpleSimone 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

AFuryforluxury
    Participant

…. for a week !

Bwahahahaha You all thought that this Fury had enough of the Crazy Bowl already… Not !! Gotta love those “Facebook like Shocking Titles”.

Just want to mention my upcoming loner cycling challenge. I’m about to embark on a 200 km ride (my longest…by far), to be completed in 2 days. It involves an 80% cycling trail and 20% road. That 20% is one of my major pet peeves. Most of those roads are 55 m/h… (see the nice touch here…miles instead of kilometers, ain’t that sweet of me! 😂).

Preparations were quite demanding but always fulfilling. Had to look for real comfy bike shorts for longer and bumpier rides. I own a hybrid, ain’t clipped. Although I’m not into racing performance, my bike seat is quite stiff.

Upon long researches and comparisons, I went for Kiss Air Castelli shorts. Although the price will make an averagely poor SB cry all the way home, the blissful feeling of her buttocks as she rides to the horizon will make up for all the tears. Got a nice mirror installed, a cell phone holder for the most needed GPS , a lock, and 2 little travel bags. If anyone is looking for good deals in the US (which I’m not from…sigh), you may want to visit competitive cyclist site, they have some interesting promotions on Castelli and/or other reliable bike clothing brands. I had to find my gear elsewhere due to time limitations.

And now, I have my gear set, bike checked and contact list prepared. All that is left is to relax and ready my psyche for the ride.

Since I joined SA, personal goals are more and more part of my daily life, which is an amazing feeling. To describe it, I’d say it made me realize that I’m actually searching for something that is already living inside of me while, at the same time, makes me realize how far the adventure could go with a successful and strong partner in crime. Less of the boring 9h am to 5h pm, more of the exciting 6h pm to 8h am. Using that freetime with value is what makes each day worthwhile, truly. If you can’t treat yourself with kindness and love, through excitement and thrill, how will you make someone else feel it and who else will do it for you?

Obvious you say? Maybe, but missing the mark is very easy, a little reminder from time to time is essential in my book.

Enough Airtime from me, question for You!

Would love to hear stories regarding lone trips combined with challenging moments. How did you face them and what motivated you to embark on such a journey? What kind of preparations did you go through if any?

Fla_Boater
    Fla_Boater
    Participant

Wow, impressive. Around 60 miles a day. I take it you have been training for this. Also, well versed in fixing flats. Down here in Florida, we have a program called rails to trails, and the result is that we have some great trails through wilderness areas. Sort of a hobby to find the trails and ride them. Of course, I absolutely refuse to ride on the side of a road, too many texting / distracted riders not paying attention. Remember, stay hydrated! Best of luck to you!

AFuryforluxury
    Participant

Those trails must be gorgeous! Have you been cycling on (through) them ? Sorry, grammar sometimes…

Have been practicing on changing flats for the past week. Being on vacations, my main plan was NYC but due to logistics problems, I had to find something else to do. I haven’t been training specifically for this trip, but I ride about 60 km per weeks throughout Summers and 50 km per weeks during Winters, plus jogging and swimming.

I hear you regarding texting and driving, that’s the kind of dangerous behaviors that really scares me! I’ll keep a very close eye on my mirror and take my time. There’s sadly no other roads to be used in this specific area.

I appreciate your advice on keeping myself hydrated and will do my best !

hoosierdaddy
    Participant

What kind of bike? I’m a Bianchi man, myself.

AFuryforluxury
    Participant

@hoosierdaddy

Mine is an old Specialized Sirrus hybrid, second hand, on a deal. Been riding it for 3 summers and might have to say goodbye by the end of next year’s season. One day, I want to choose my bike based on other quality criterias. At first, I wanted to see if my love for cycling was strong enough. It’s rising year after year.

Bianchi is way way out of my league. A very solid brand, a goal in my book! What’s your yearly mileage?

hoosierdaddy
    Participant

It varies wildly by what country I am in and what sort of wandering that I am doing. I’d guess anywhere from 5-10K.

Fla_Boater
    Fla_Boater
    Participant

They are indeed gorgeous! I have a bike rack that easily mounts to my truck so I can travel to the various trails. Daily, I ride a trail near my house for exercise. Summer is rough, we have a “wet” heat down here, 90% plus humidity and thunderstorms build up quick. Staying hydrated is of utmost importance.

SimpleSimone
    SimpleSimone
    Participant

@afuryforluxury

I am afraid that the last bike I had had a banana seat and featured Thurman Munson’s baseball card in the spokes!

That said I did spend a large part of my weekend splitting and stacking 2 cords of wood for this winter ( only 4 more to go!). Does that count?

I did have to sharpen my axe and clean up the tops of my splitting wedges with a grinding wheel and compressor as well as leveling the pallets that I store the wood on ( assorted 4x4s and other scrap lumber under the downhill side did the trick) so the whole woodpile wouldn’t collapse again…

Not exactly sexy but actually a great core and shoulder workout plus, you know, I will be snug as a bug this winter! 🔥🔥🔥. And yes, I know I’m a tiny bit “unique”🤗

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.