Home Sugar Support™ Forum Fashion Upscale parties dress code help

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

SabrieIV
    Participant

Okay ladies, my fabulous SD has invited me to a ridiculously fancy networking party mid-winter. I’ve told him that I’m not sure what to wear and he responded with “something nice, I know you’ll look great in whatever.” Men! I have a nice wool overcoat and clutch purse, but no shoes or dress. I know he likes fitted, conservative clothing. I’m thinking an elegant black dress? I’d love links to dresses!!! Very helpful. I’m at a loss for shoes… I prefer to wear something with a thicker heel and good support. What styles are most appropriate? Images are helpful! Thanks.

SFwinefan
    SFwinefan
    Participant

Hi Sabriel, I’m not going to be able to help with links, but your instincts are good. As an SD, here is what I would recommend:

The black dress (tough to go wrong) cut in a manner that highlights your figure. Heels as high and thin as you are comfortable wearing. Unless you know you are going to be sitting, figure lots of standing, wandering, talking – something that will not physically be painful within 30 to 45 minutes (okay, exaggeration, 2 plus hours). The other must is something you can easily move around in – a shoe you can walk in, flow elegantly through the room is more important than the highest heel you can teeter around in while hanging onto your SD’s arm. The thicker heel is fine, but I would stop short of a block or wedge for this event. Even it it means a 2 inch or 1 1/2 inch, I might go for that shorter/more stable heel for an elegant less blockish shoe.

Charmingandwitty
    Charmingandwitty
    Participant

Whenever you’re in a fashion bind, hit Nordstrom and ask for the personal shopper. They will walk you through options and help you figure out a style that works for you.

Anonymous

Rent the Runway may also be a good option for a dress. If you are in a large city they may have a physical location. It’s also helpful that online you can see pictures people took in the same dress you’re looking to rent to get a more accurate idea of the fit. Have fun at the event!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.